Join our successful Youth Services Team who are dedicated to effectively helping at-risk youth of Cowlitz County. This is a great position for an individual looking to gain more skills working with the youth population, professional development and case management. See details below to learn more and make sure to apply soon – closing date is July 31st!
Goodwill of the Olympics and Rainier Region
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANT
The Youth Development Assistant will be a teacher, role model and mentor for at-risk youth in Cowlitz County working to complete their GED and gain job skills needed to obtain and retain competitive employment.
Goodwill Work Opportunity Center of Cowlitz County serves at-risk youth through a grant under the Work Investment and Opportunity Act. Services focus of completion of educational and vocational goals, and include GED attainment, enrollment and subsequent successful completion of post-secondary education, training and certification in field chosen by participants, work readiness training, financial literacy and work follow-up supports. This position reports to the Youth Services Coordinator.
The AmeriCorps volunteer will work directly with at-risk youth, many of whom are involved in the judicial system. Knowledge of and empathy with the challenges of at-risk youth (poverty, substance abuse, parenting, educational deficiencies, employment) will be better able to work with this challenging population.
- Learn Workforce Investment and Opportunity Act (WIOA) program requirements and Goodwill data collection and reporting through hands-on instruction by Program Manager, Case Manager and Vocational Manager.
- Establish supportive relationship with clients; maintain contact with clients to support and track attendance, progress in-program, and follow up post-employment. Maintain case notes of contacts and other documentation required for client files.
- Assist program instructors by participating at remote work sites as needed; may verify attendance, supervise attendees in select work/learning tasks, document class objectives and progress made by attendees.
- Assist classroom instructor for GED/Basic Adult Education classes; maintain accurate data entry for verification of attendance and incentives earned; follow up with students to support attendance and progress; coordinate activities with classroom instructor.
- Participate in community events in support of Goodwill Work Opportunity Center of Cowlitz County as representative of AmeriCorps and Goodwill.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Desirable: Associates Degree or above in a related field
- Essential Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Ability to work with a diverse population
- Working knowledge of social patterns of poverty
- Counseling skills for at-risk youth
- Desirable Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Working ability with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Internet Explorer)
- Must be able to complete required site training in:
- First Aid/CPR training and certification
- ETO (Efforts to Outcomes, Goodwill data base) training
- Case Management training and supervision
- Case File documentation and maintenance
- External professional development training as available (funds permitting)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are in addition to the essential functions and required skills:
- Car recommended.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Properly licensed and insured automobile, available for use during work hours.
- The employee is required to be present in the workplace on a regular and reliable basis. Normal work hours are M-F 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., however, occasional evening and/or weekend assignments may occur.
The work environment is primarily office with light duty physical requirements for lifting/carrying and walking/standing/sitting. Work-site duties may include construction sites and exposure to hazardous materials and conditions, with medium duty requirements of lifting/carrying and walking/standing/kneeling/climbing.
Work is performed at the Goodwill Work Opportunities Center of Cowlitz County in Longview, WA and as needed at various sites throughout the community. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
This position is contingent on funding and is anticipated to be a 40 hour a week workload. Position starts September 1, 2016 and ends July 15, 2017. Benefits include monthly stipend, childcare (if eligible), education award upon successful completion of service, health coverage, training.
Goodwill is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, marital status, political affiliation or belief, sexual orientation, or other protected status.
July 31, 2016
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Resume and cover letter
HOW TO APPLY
- Email all required application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include the position title (AmeriCorps-Youth Development Assistant) in the subject line
- Bring required application materials to the Work Opportunity Center located at 1030 15th Avenue, Longview, WA, 98632